Using Zodiak to Build SDN Testbed - How Many? ANyone Doing It?

• 4 Replies

traphyx007

• View Profile
Hi all,

First time post here!  I'm developing software to manage Openflow devices and am looking at the Zodiak to build a testbed for the purpose.  Is anyone else doing this?  (Not asking for secrets!)   I'm just wondering if anyone here can talk about their experience with this, notably on how many Zodiaks might you be using and what other switches, routers, end systems do you use to get a realistic network and especially realistic traffic/workload flows?

Thanks for any help!

Phil

Sebastian

• View Profile
Re: Using Zodiak to Build SDN Testbed - How Many? ANyone Doing It?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 08:36:04 PM »
Hi Phil,

I'm using 12 Zodiac FX switches and I'm facing some problems. I'm using RYU and ONOS as SDN controllers and there is something strange that happen with both. At the beginning I'm able to to see the topology as it is, but after some time (when I make some ping or iperf among hosts connected to the switches) they seem to stop working (just some of them and in a random way). I don't understand why.

Are you facing the same problem?

Sebastian

Paul Zanna

• View Profile
    • Northbound Networks
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2018, 01:09:24 PM »
Hi Sebastian,

Can you please provide a little more on information on your setup and the problems you are having?

Regards,
Paul

Sebastian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 01:47:18 AM »
The problem is the following: when I start the ONOS controller, it sees the topology made with the zodiaks but after a while, it begins to stop receiving messages from the zodiaks and therefore ONOS loses its connection with them.
Have you ever tried to use the zodiak with ONOS?

I have seen the ONOS logs and the problem seems to be that at some point the zodiaks do not respond to the messages of ONOS (about the topology discovery).

How can this problem be solved?

balahmadi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 10:42:56 PM »
Hi Sebastian

I am also creating a testbed with 5 Zodiac FX and one RPi with OpenVswitch.
 I want to configure my testbed so that the network has multiple subnets (specifically a fat tree topology).
However, when configuring the IPs of the switches, the controller was not able to see them.
Did you configure all your 12 Zodiac switches to beon the same subnet? Do you have any suggestions for subnetting using Zodiac FX?

Many thanks!