Discard packets

• 2 Replies

cadore

• View Profile
Discard packets
« on: January 09, 2018, 12:26:34 PM »
What is the standard action of zodiac FX when it sends a packet in message to the controller in a table-miss situation? Does it buffer the packet forever until there is no more buffer space? What would be the recommended way to just discard the packet using ryu when the controller decides it's the case? I've been using only a python "return" but I think it's affecting my applications because I'm not sending any action to the packet, like I send when the packet is to be forwarded:

actions = [parser.OFPActionOutput(self.WAN_PORT)

Can anyone give me some advice on that? Thanks.

Basavaraj

• View Profile
Re: Discard packets
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 08:12:23 AM »
I am in a similar situation. As a part of my academic work, I am using performance measurement tool to test performance of Zodiac FX switch. The tool generates UDP packets at a fixed rate to only  one port of the switch and checks for packet_in message from control port. But, We don't have controller which can respond to these packet_in messages. I am noticing some drop in the number of packet_in messages when UDP packet generation rate(i.e packets per second ) is increased. I would like to know whether the switch stores the entire packet in its buffer and waits forever for packet_out or other sorts of response from controller? or It would flush the buffer after some time if no response is received from the controller

I appreciate if anyone could come up with an explanation for this?

Paul Zanna

• View Profile
    • Northbound Networks
Re: Discard packets
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 07:14:18 AM »
The full packet is send to the controller via a packet_in with a no buffer flag and then deleted from the Zodiac FX. The controller is then responsible for sending that packet back to the switch with a packet_out message and an output action so it is sent to it's destination.

Regards,
Paul