Connect multiple Zodiac FX switches to one controller

• 2 Replies

mge43

• View Profile
Connect multiple Zodiac FX switches to one controller
« on: September 07, 2017, 10:17:13 AM »
Hi,

I'm currently doing some experiment with Zodiac FX switches. I would like to connect, for example, two switches to a controller. Based on the spec of the Zodiac FX switch, each switch needs to connect to the controller via the native port. Since the controller (Ryu) is installed in my laptop with only one Ethernet port, I can only connect the native port of one switch to the controller. Then I checked online that I can connect both the controller and switches to a local network and then configure the IP address for both of them. So I connected my laptop to the university network using Ethernet cable and also the switch to the university network using the Ethernet cable. My laptop automatically gets an IP address. However, for the configuration of the switch, I don't know what IP address can be assigned to the switch (because each device gets an IP automatically when it is connected to the uni network, but for the switch, I need to configure it by myself and cannot just assign one as it may conflict with other devices in the same subnet). It seems like I got into a dilemma... If anyone has used multiple switches before, any idea would be much appreciated for how you set up your network : )

Paul Zanna

• View Profile
    • Northbound Networks
Re: Connect multiple Zodiac FX switches to one controller
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 09:07:45 AM »
The problem is it sounds like the university networks only supports DHCP and the Zodiac FX only static IP addresses. If you try and assign an IP address address yourself there is a good chance it will conflict with another device on the network with the same address.
The easiest way is to just use a standard ethernet switch and connect the Zodiacs and your laptop to it, or if you have a spare Zodiac FX you can erase the firmware and use it as a standard 4 port switch.

Regards,
Paul

mge43

• View Profile
Re: Connect multiple Zodiac FX switches to one controller
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 07:38:47 PM »
Thx :) I have requested a switch from my department.