SDN Test Lab Setup

• 4 Replies

nyu74

• View Profile
SDN Test Lab Setup
« on: February 16, 2016, 11:59:27 AM »
I'm considering purchasing the 4 pack of switches in order to setup a small scale SDN testbed for research.  Interested if there are any thoughts or pointers from the group?

Oleg Sadov

• Beta Testers
    • View Profile
Re: SDN Test Lab Setup
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 01:42:37 AM »
I think, it would be reasonable to understand which use-cases will be modelled in this laboratory. Actually, we have a SDN-enabled testbed for Data Center modelling:

http://sdn.ifmo.ru/hardware-switch/testbed

Originally we made some research works about possibility of using SDN-technologies for SAN-storages in Data Centers.

At present time we have a slightly larger set of equipment more or less included to our work process (for ex., now we have 11 OF-switches form 5 different vendors) and trying to spread our investigations about possibility of implementing SDN-enabled solutions for Green-IT oriented DataCenters, Quantum-cryptography networks and geographically-distributed data-storage systems.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 01:52:17 AM by Oleg Sadov »

nyu74

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 04:48:08 AM »
Attached is a jpg of what I'm thinking of setting up to use as both a SDN teaching tool and proof-of-concept SND physical testbed.  It would allow for basic performance and security/attack testing, as well as connectivity to internet at large.  I'm think with the zodiac switches and a few raspberry pis, I could built this compact SDN testbed. 

Any updates on OF 1.3?     
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 04:49:54 AM by nyu74 »

svlahakis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 08:22:02 AM »
OpenFlow  v1.3 works, refer to screenshot for the HP VAN SDN Controller integration with the Zodiac FX switch. In the  switch console, type the follow command : set of-version 4  (OpenFlow 1.3)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 08:25:01 AM by svlahakis »

scott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 06:06:08 AM »
Hi nyu74,

My team is building a similar test bed with 4 Zodiac switches and 4 RaspberryPi3s.  Just got the switches yesterday.  If you are still working on this maybe we could help each other.