Installing unsigned drivers in Windows 8

• 6 Replies

Paul Zanna

• View Profile
    • Northbound Networks
Installing unsigned drivers in Windows 8
« on: February 14, 2016, 09:51:45 AM »
The Zodiac FX USB drivers are currently not signed which means that some versions of Windows will not allow you to install them, other versions may just prompt you with a warning. If you are installing the drivers on Windows 8 / 8.1 you will need to temporarly  disable signed driver enforcement to install the driver. The guide on the following website How to Disable/Enable Driver Signature Enforcement in Windows 8 and 8.1 provides information on how to do this.

cousintroy

• View Profile
Re: Installing unsigned drivers in Windows 8
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 05:08:57 AM »
Paul...thanks for the heads up.  I was able to get around the driver signing and install it but my Windows 8 VM still see's the USB cable as an unknown device.  Any idea or did I miss a step?

Paul Zanna

• View Profile
    • Northbound Networks
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 06:24:00 PM »
Have you erased the firmware? If you have it is a different set of drivers.

The Zodiac FX will show up in Windows as 2 different devices on 2 different COM ports depending on how it boots. If you boot from firmware it will show up as the Zodiac and you install the Zodiac drivers which are available from the download post in this forum. However if you have erased the firmware via the ERASE jumper it will boot from inbuilt SAM boot loader and you will have to install the drivers that come with the Atmel's BA tool.

Start by removing the device in Device Manager and reconnecting the Zodiac again then reinstalling the drivers.

I will make a YouTube video in the next couple of days to show how to setup it all up and upgrade the firmware.

Paul

cousintroy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 04:07:37 AM »
Paul thanks for your help but I was able to figure it out overnight.  The USB cable would come up as unknown in Windows 8 so I spun a Windows 7 VM and it was able to successfully recognize the cable and install the appropriate driver.  After running through the instructions for uploading the firmwall, the Zodiac now shows under device manager after upgrading them.  So I believe I am good.

Paul Zanna

• View Profile
    • Northbound Networks
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 10:31:29 AM »
Excellent, I'm glad you got it sorted out.

Paul

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 07:52:41 PM »
Still having issues with the bring-up  :'(
I followed the user guide and got to Download/Installing the firmware bin file. After that, the SAM-BA tool doesn't connect to the ZodiacFX anymore (Question: Do we run the SAM-BA tool again to launch the CLI? I'd assume so...)

Was able to install the drivers correctly - Device shows up as "AT91 USB to Serial Converter" in Windows (8.1) device manager.

I will make a YouTube video in the next couple of days to show how to setup it all up and upgrade the firmware.

Paul

Will be very helpful

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 08:14:13 PM »
Still having issues with the bring-up  :'(
I followed the user guide and got to Download/Installing the firmware bin file. After that, the SAM-BA tool doesn't connect to the ZodiacFX anymore (Question: Do we run the SAM-BA tool again to launch the CLI? I'd assume so...)

Was able to install the drivers correctly - Device shows up as "AT91 USB to Serial Converter" in Windows (8.1) device manager.

Paul

Will be very helpful

Oh wait! Got it to work  8) 8) After following all the steps (including installing the drivers), used PuTTY to connect to the CLI.
Pretty neat ASCII Splash/Intro I must say!