connecting hosts (PCs, rPis) to Zodiac

• 6 Replies

smatt241

• View Profile
connecting hosts (PCs, rPis) to Zodiac
« on: July 24, 2016, 10:16:43 PM »
Hi all

I am trying to connect two hosts to ports 1 & 2 of the Zodiac FX with port 4 connected to my home gateway (port 3 is unused).

I am having trouble connecting the hosts to the network as when I connect them to the Zodiac ports 1 & 2, no IP address is given to each host. Even when using "dhclient" on the ethernet interface of each port or setting each host with a static IP, I still cannot seem to connect the hosts to the network.

Is there a step I am missing when trying to create a network with your home gateway and two host PCs to test OpenFlow with real traffic?

Kind Regards
Matt

ar801112usa

• View Profile
Re: connecting hosts (PCs, rPis) to Zodiac
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 01:54:47 AM »
Zodiac Fx is purge openflow switch,

So you need make zodiac fx to connect a SDN controller, that controller can add flow to zodiac fx, to do further action.

otherwise, zodiac fx can't get any action before it got respond flow.

Paul Zanna

• View Profile
    • Northbound Networks
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 07:46:55 AM »
Hi Matt,

Port 4 on the Zodiac is isolated from the other ports and in the default config is only for the OpenFlow controller. The simplest way to connect it up is as shown in the attached picture, but connect port 3 to your home network instead of another client.  That way the controller on port 4 will manage the traffic going between the hosts on 1 & 2 and the rest of the network on port 3.

Regards,
Paul

schneiben

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 11:36:16 PM »
Hi,

you say, that the 4th port is "per default" configured as the port connected to the controller. Is it possible to change this behaviour and make it another standard ethernet port?

Regards,
Ben

Paul Zanna

• View Profile
    • Northbound Networks
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 05:16:47 PM »
Hi Ben,

You can always move port 4 into the native VLAN with the other 3 ports using the VLAN commands but the switch would no longer have any OpenFlow functionality. You would also need to disable OpenFlow otherwise no packets will be forwarded as there would be no flow entries.

The other option is to erase the firmware completely which will turn the Zodiac into a simple unmanaged switch, but there is not much fun it that :-)

Regards,
Paul

schneiben

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2016, 04:02:16 PM »
Sure, that would not be funny at all ;)

smatt241

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2016, 08:51:53 PM »
Thanks Paul! :)