Firmware Build Procedure

• 1 Replies

binary-zero

• View Profile
Firmware Build Procedure
« on: April 30, 2017, 08:46:43 PM »
Hi,

It might be a very naive question - it's been a while (10+ years) I've used Visual Studio and a lot has changed since then. I'm struggling to find how can I build/compile my own full firmware ? I've tried building the solution in Amtel Stdio 7 but my .bin file is around 112kb which seems very different as compared to 511kb available from manufacturer. I must be missing something here. Much appreciate any guidance in this regard.

Also is there any high level architecture document available for the code to understand how it all works or the only way is to read the code and figure out ?

ta

Paul Zanna

• View Profile
    • Northbound Networks
Re: Firmware Build Procedure
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 06:03:16 PM »
Hi,

When you build a release version from the source code as per the instructions in the README you will generate an upgrade version of the firmware, which you can use to upgrade the Zodiac FX via the web UI. The full install version of the firmware actually consists of three parts - the BIOS, white space and the upgrade firmware. To create a full install version of the firmware the best approach is to take an existing full install firmware and remove the code after the white space (all the FFs that end at 0x47FFF) and then paste your new upgrade firmware on the end. This can be done with any HEX editor, I personally use HxD which you can get from mh-nexus.

Regards,
Paul
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:04:51 PM by Paul Zanna »