All Ports closed on switch

• 4 Replies

Ankita Lamba

• View Profile
All Ports closed on switch
« on: April 29, 2016, 02:41:55 AM »
I am starting out with setting up the switch and no prior experience whatsoever. Hence, I have some very basic starting questions. Currently a port scan on the switch is indicating that all ports are closed and its not listening on any of them. Due to which the floodlight controller I have setup cannot talk to the switch either.
Can someone assist me on this please?

Paul Zanna

• View Profile
    • Northbound Networks
Re: All Ports closed on switch
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 10:15:25 AM »
Hi Ankita,

The switch acts as the client in the controller connection so it is not actually listening on any TCP ports. If you connect port 4 (the one under the erase jumper) to the computer running your floodlight controller it will connect automatically. You will however need to either change the IP address in the config (via the CLI) to that of your controller or change the controller IP to the default value which is 10.0.1.8.

Regards,
Paul

Ankita Lamba

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 12:55:16 AM »
Hi Paul,

I have the floodlight controller pointing to the IP you mentioned in the floodlightdefault.properties file:
net.floodlightcontroller.core.internal.FloodlightProvider.openFlowhost=10.0.1.8

Do you think the Vlans on the switch may be causing the issue?

Paul Zanna

• View Profile
    • Northbound Networks
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 01:16:39 AM »
Hi Ankita,

The VLANS are there to separate the switch into OpenFlow and Native (controller) sections and shouldn't affect your set up. You need to set the IP address of the computer that is running the controller to the default address (10.0.1.8) or change the config on the switch to match the IP of the computer, probably easier to change the computer IP address at this point. What computer are you running the controller on?

Regards,
Paul

Ankita Lamba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:40:14 AM »
Hi Paul,

I am using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Also, I was able to solve my issue. It's all good now. Thanks for the assistance!